Question for Mike about copying Fedora 10 from DVD115

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Question for Mike about copying Fedora 10 from DVD115

Postby Marrea » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:17 am

Mike

I would like to copy Fedora 10 from LXF DVD115 onto a blank DVD (so I can have a dedicated Fedora DVD on its own minus all the other stuff which is on DVD115).

Is this fairly easy to do? Which folders/files would I have to copy, and what is the exact copying procedure? And how do I make it bootable? Am I right in thinking that isolinux is involved?
Marrea
LXF regular

RE: Question for Mike about copying Fedora 10 from DVD115

Postby M-Saunders » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:06 am

Hi Marrea,

The first thing to do is to remove the directories in the list on page 114 -- ie Desktop, HotPicks, Development etc. Also remove .html, .index, .banners and index,html. That'll leave you with just the Fedora files from which you can generate an ISO image like this (assuming the files are in a folder called 'fedora'):

mkisofs -rdlJ -cache-inodes -input-charset iso8859-1 -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -boot-load-size 4 -no-emul-boot -boot-info-table -o fedora.iso fedora/

The -b flag tells mkisofs where to locate the boot blocks.

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby Marrea » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:48 pm

Hi Mike

Very many thanks indeed for this. Sorry to be a bit dense, but I’m not entirely clear about the procedure.

You say I need to remove the Desktop, HotPicks, Development, etc. directories. Not quite sure how I can delete directories from the LXF DVD. Do I not need to do the opposite, ie insert the DVD in the drive and simply copy over to my hard drive the directories/files relevant to Fedora?

Looking at the contents of the DVD in a browser, I see the following 19 directories:

Code: Select all
.banners
.html
.index
Desktop
Development
Directory
Distros
Essentials
Games
Help
HotPicks
images
Internet
isolinux
Magazine
Packages
repodata
Security
System

plus the following files:

.disc
.discinfo
.exclude
.include
.treeinfo
autorun
AUTORUN.INF
boot.catlog
GPL
index.html
media.repo
README-BURNING-ISOS-en_US.txt
TRANS.TBL

plus 16 different
RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora files

The Distros folder itself contains two sub-directories:
Damn_Small
Fedora

plus
index.html

So from all that lot, do I need to copy just the following to my hard drive, putting them into a folder called “fedora“:

- the Fedora sub-directory from the Distros directory
- the isolinux directory
- the 16 RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora files

Then run the command you have given me? And following that simply burn the resulting ISO to a DVD in the normal way?
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby M-Saunders » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:44 am

Yep, copy everything from the DVD into a directory called 'fedora' and then remove the aforementioned directories inside it (the ones listed on the back of the disc wallet). You can remove Distros as it just contains the DSL ISO and some disc interface files; it doesn't contain anything required to run Fedora. You can then switch back out of the 'fedora' directory and run the command.

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby Marrea » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:22 pm

Thanks Mike

I have now created a "fedora.iso" file. Rather than risk trashing a DVD I will first try it out in VirtualBox from the iso to see if it works.
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby M-Saunders » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:08 pm

Top stuff. Good luck!

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby Marrea » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:27 pm

Well, knock me down with a feather. :shock: It actually worked !! :P

I tried it first as an iso in VirtualBox. That installed OK, so I then burned to a DVD and used that for a second install (also in VirtualBox) and no problems there either.

So that's another useful technique learned and filed away in my Linux how-to notes.

However, I think I need to spend some time studying mkisofs in order to understand the procedures better. It never ceases to amaze me the number of interesting things you can do in Linux - if you know how.

Cheers Mike :)
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby M-Saunders » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:39 am

Congrats! Most distros use isolinux for CD/DVD booting, so the stuff you've learnt there can be applied elsewhere too.

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby Marrea » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:01 pm

M-Saunders wrote: ... so the stuff you've learnt there can be applied elsewhere too.

That's what I was rather hoping! :)
Marrea
LXF regular

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs